Friday, February 4, 2011

ROYAL DESCENT – I Nephi 5:14


Today I’d like to highlight a scripture I believe most of you probably didn’t pay too much attention to as you read it.  But as I have thought about this verse, I believe it applies to everything we do.  It reads:

“ And it came to pass that my father, Lehi, also found upon the plates of brass … that he was a descendant of Joseph who was the son of Jacob, who was sold into Egypt and who was preserved by the hand of the Lord, that he might preserve his father, Jacob, and all his household from perishing with famine.”

The thing about this scripture that I believe is so important is that Lehi found he was related to “Royalty.”   His lineage came from Joseph of Egypt. Can you imagine how you would feel to know that you were related directly to a man of such stature?  Joseph – who was sold into Egypt by his rebellious brothers – who worked his way up to become a trusted and valuable aide to Potipher, one of the most wealthy and powerful men of his day, only to be cast falsely into prison – who interpreted Pharaoh’s dream – who became the #2 leader in all of Egypt – who became an honored prophet - and who never lost his love for the Lord or for his family.  What an honor to be related to such a man.  How would that knowledge impact the way you acted in your life?  I believe it would be a great motivator to strive to be just like he was … to live your life as he lived his life.  By doing so you would honor him.
Well, I also believe the message of the Book of Mormon helps us to understand that we, too, have royal ancestry.  We are the spirit daughters and sons of our loving Heavenly Father.    I love repeating with the young women when they stand and recite their theme.  The very first words are;  “We are daughters of our Heavenly Father who loves us and we love him.”  The Book of Mormon also teaches us that because of the Savior’s atonement we are “spiritually begotten” of Him and “have become his sons and his daughters.”  (Mosiah 5:7)  Can you imagine what kind of heritage you have?  Because of this divine heritage it becomes our responsibility to honor the Heavenly Father and His Son.  We do this by way we live our lives each day.  Do we treat others as they would want us to?  Do we keep our thoughts clean as they have asked?  Do we strive to know and follow them?  I believe if we truly understand what it means to come from such divine and royal heritage we will do everything in our power to honor that heritage by living as our Heavenly Father and the Savior ask.   This scripture reminds me to try harder to honor my spiritual heritage.  I hope you will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment