Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I NEPHI 7:17-18 - HOW THE LORD ANSWERS OUR PRAYERS


This scripture always reminds me that the Lord will answer our prayers – not always in the way we ask, but in the way that will be best for us.  Think about the situation Nephi found himself in at this moment.   He was in the wilderness with his brothers when the Lord impressed upon him the need to tell his brothers that if they were to return to Jerusalem they would perish just like those who were there.  Now, because their hearts were hard, his brothers were angry with Nephi and bound him with “cords” so tightly that he couldn’t escape.  Their plan was to leave him in the wilderness so the beasts could kill him.  What a helpless feeling he must have had.  He did what I believe any of us would do in this situation – he prayed to the Lord for help.  It’s recorded like this:

“But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying; O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.”

Then comes the part that I think can teach us all a great lesson.  Nephi records:

“And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet and I stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again.”

Nephi prayed that he would have the strength to burst the bands from his hands and feet.  But the Lord didn’t answer Nephi in the exact manner that he asked.  Instead, the Lord loosened the bands so Nephi could gain his freedom.  I think the great lesson here is that the Lord doesn’t always answer our prayers in the exact way in which we ask, but he will answer them in the way that will be the greatest blessing to us in our situation. 
I remember years ago when we were on a film shoot for the Church.  It was overcast and not a pretty day for filming.  I prayed and prayed that the sun would come out so we could have the “perfect” shot.  But guess what?  The day never cleared up.  It remained overcast the entire time.  I was disappointed, thinking our shoot wouldn’t be as good as it should have been if the Lord had “really answered my prayers.”  The next day we looked at the scenes we had shot the day before.  To my surprise the shot was gorgeous.  Not that there was sun shining ... because there wasn’t.  But because of the overcast sky the colors in the shot were muted and softened and it made the scene more beautiful than I had imagined it could be.  In other words, the Lord answered my prayers in the way that was best, not in the way I asked.  I’ve found that to be the case in so many events in my life.  The Lord always knows best and He knows how we will be best blessed by His love.  So next time you feel that the Lord isn’t answering your prayers take a moment and ask yourself if He’s really just answering them in a different, but better way.  I promise, if you will, you’ll notice His influence even more in your life.

1 comment:

  1. It is good to be reminded that we actually don't have as great a vantage point on our lives as the Lord does. We think we know everything, but we really know only what we can see. The Lord always answers in the best ways if we let him.

    ReplyDelete