Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Nephi 15:8 - HAVE YE INQUIRED OF THE LORD?

 It’s so simple. “Have ye inquired of the Lord?” These are the words Nephi used when his brothers told him they couldn’t understand the words things he taught them. I believe they are also the words the Lord would use with us when we have questions about guidance and direction in our lives. Think about all the great questions you may have at this moment in your lives. 

 “Is the Church true?” 
 “Is the Book of Mormon the word of God?” 
 “Does God know me?” 
 “Does God have a purpose for my life?” 
 “Should I serve a full-time mission?” 
 “What do I need to do to find peace and happiness?” 
 “Should I see this PG-13 movie, or should I see something else, instead?” 
 “Should I be listening to this music?” 
 “How can I help my friend through their trial?” 
 “How can I have a better relationship with my parents?” 
 “Will Heavenly Father forgive me for a mistake I’ve made?”
 “How can I be a better example to my friends and family?” 
 “What should I do to strengthen my testimony?”

The list can go on and on. We all have so many questions about how we should best live our lives each day. Perhaps Nephi wasn’t just talking to his brothers, maybe he was really talking to each of us, today. “Have ye inquired of the Lord?”
I’ve actually heard some people say that they didn’t think the Lord cared about asking him certain things. I fully believe that he cares about everything about us. Some may ask, “Where should we pray and what should we pray for?” I believe Amulek teaches us a great example when he teaches the Zoramites in Alma 34 He says, starting with verse 17:
 

   17 Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you;
   18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save.
   19 Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
   20 Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.
   21 Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening.
   22 Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.
   23 Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.
   24 Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.
   25 Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.
   26 But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and 
in your wilderness.
   27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.


I just love that our Heavenly Father allows us to speak with him through prayer, no matter where we are. He is always available. There is never a busy signal. We are never out of range and we never have to say, “Can you hear me now?” One of the greatest blessings we have is the understanding that God loves us; He listens to us; and He answers our prayers. So, if you have questions about your life, I would ask you like Nephi asked his brothers, “Have ye inquired of the Lord?"

No comments:

Post a Comment