Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Nephi 18:9 - Rudeness Drives Away the Spirit

“ … They began to dance, and to sing, and to speak with much rudeness, yea, even that they did forget by what power they had been brought thither; yea, they were lifted up unto exceeding rudeness.”


Although I’ll never know exactly what happened when Nephi’s brethren began to be “rude,” I believe they probably started using words and language that drove away the spirit.  I don’t think any of us believe this type of behavior was limited to Nephi’s time.  It certainly happens around us all the time.  I’m sure that many of you have felt like Nephi did as you walk down the halls of your school and hear the “crude and rude” talk all around you.  I think the worst part of this behavior is that it drives the spirit away.  Often, those using the language, don’t care, or even worse, feel proud that they use such words.


I think that the “For the Strength of Youth” sums it up very well when it refers to “Language.”


How you speak says much about who you are. Clean and intelligent language is evidence of a bright and wholesome mind. Use language that uplifts, encourages, and compliments others. Do not insult others or put them down, even in joking. Speak kindly and positively about others so you can fulfill the Lord’s commandment to love one another. When you use good language, you invite the Spirit to be with you.

Always use the names of God and Jesus Christ with reverence and respect. Misusing their names is a sin. Profane, vulgar, or crude language or gestures, as well as jokes about immoral actions, are offensive to the Lord and to others. Foul language harms your spirit and degrades you. Do not let others influence you to use it.

Choose friends who use good language. Help others around you use clean language by your example and by good-naturedly encouraging them to choose other words. Politely walk away or change the subject when others around you use bad language.

If you have developed the habit of swearing, you can break it. Begin by making a decision to change. Pray for help. If you start to use words you know are wrong, keep quiet or say what you have to say in a different way.

While I was on my mission I read a short list titled, “Ten Reasons Why I Swear.”  I thought it was so profound that I copied it, put it in my scriptures, and carried it with me for years.  I still have that very copy in the Bible I used on my mission.  Here’s the list:

        TEN REASONS WHY I SWEAR

It pleases mom so much.
It is a fine mark of manliness (or womanhood).
It proves I have self-control.
It indicates how clearly my mind operates.
It makes my conversation so pleasing to everybody.
It leaves no doubt in anyone’s mind as to my good upbringing.
It impresses people that I have more than ordinary education.
It is an unmistakable sign of culture and refinement.
It makes me a very desirable personality among women and children and in respectable society.
It is my way of honoring God, who said, “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”
I love how James feels about the use of our language, as recorded in the New Testament.  (By the way, the book of James is filled with great advice on how to live each day.  After all, it was James 1:5 that prompted Joseph Smith to go to the grove and ask Heavenly Father which was the true church.)  This is found in James 3:2-5

2For in many things we aoffend all. If any man boffend not in cword, the same is a dperfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

 3Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.

 4Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the agovernor listeth.

 5Even so the tongue is a little member, and aboasteth great things. Behold, how great a bmatter a little fire kindleth!


I know the temptation to use foul and vulgar language is one of the greatest temptations the youth of our stake may face.  Unfortunately, it can be easy to hide at home.  It may be easy to put away and not use in front of your church leaders.  It might be something you can “turn-on and turn-off” depending on the situation you’re in … but I know one thing for sure if you use it, you know.


Just today, I, like every other employee where I work, was required be aware of conduct in the work place.  The company policy reminded everyone that our conduct should measured by the following questions:


Would I engage in that conduct if my boss were present?
Would I engage in that conduct if someone with whom I have a close relationship (e.g., spouse, daughter, son, mother, father, sister, brother) were present?
Would I engage in that conduct if an audio or video recording were being made of me?
What would my reaction be if someone else acted this way toward my daughter, son, spouse, mother, father, sister or brother?
Would I want my conduct to be described in detail in the newspaper?

But I believe even more important than those questions is this:  Can you ever afford to be without the spirit?

If you use rude or vulgar language it will drive the spirit away and we all need the spirit to help us make decisions.  It would be so sad if the spirit couldn’t give you really important guidance just because you weren’t able to control your language.  I hope you can always be worthy of having the spirit give you guidance and direction in your life by using clean and appropriate language.  

1 comment:

  1. Love that list. "It leaves no doubt in anyone’s mind as to my good upbringing." I laugh as I'm reminded of hispanic people that call their kiddies mal creados, meaning "poorly raised/developed"... I think they forget that that's not the greatest reflection on their own abilities of parenting.

    Great entry. Now I need to work my way backwards through the others and catch up.

    ReplyDelete