Monday, March 7, 2011

I Nephi 16:23 – GETTING TO WORK

Most of us are familiar with the story in the 16th Chapter of First Nephi.  It’s the part of Nephi’s journey where he breaks his bow.  Here’s the background of the story:  Lehi and his family followed the pointers on the Liahona (did you know that it’s only called a “compass,” “director,” or “ball,” until the 37th Chapter of Alma where its referred to as the “Liahona.”  Just some Book of Mormon trivia for you) and found a place to pitch their tents long enough for them to rest and find more food for their families before continuing on their journey.  It was then that Nephi and his brothers went out to hunt for some food.  While hunting Nephi broke his steel bow.  The account in the Book of Mormon says when they returned to camp they were very tired and hungry.  Imagine how they felt … walking and stalking prey and returning with nothing. (I suppose it was like the worst possible Fast Sunday.)  We next read that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael start to murmur, or complain, about their lack of food and the sufferings they were experiencing.  (It also records that Laman and Lemuel’s bows had lost their spring and were unable to be used in hunting.)  Even Lehi, at this point, murmured against the Lord for the lack of food.  It must have been a terrible situation for all of them to complain about their circumstances.  But you’ll notice that Nephi didn’t murmur.  Instead, he went to work.

“And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow.” 

I believe this says so much about Nephi’s character.  He had such great faith in the Lord that he didn’t complain like everyone else, he just knew he would have to work harder than ever … and that’s just what he did.  He “did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow.”  Can you imagine how difficult it would have been to make a bow and find a stick straight enough to make an arrow?  But even though the odds were against Nephi he wouldn’t quit and he didn’t lose faith.  He knew the Lord would provide if he did his part.  After he crafted his new bow he went to the Liahona for direction and then headed into the wilderness to hunt.  While hunting “It came to pass that I did slay wild beasts, insomuch that I did obtain food for our families.” 

How often have you had something go wrong and all you want to do is to sit down and cry or complain about it?  I know I’ve had many experiences like that.  I believe this story is in the Book of Mormon because the Lord want us to learn an important lesson … hard work will allow the Lord to bless us.  I find it interesting that in Chapter 18 when Nephi and his brothers are building the boat that there is no murmuring mentioned.  I guess it’s always been true that “busy hands are happy hands.”  So next time you feel the world is against you and you want to quit, remember that Nephi could have felt this way, too.  But, instead he went to work and was able to provide for his entire family.  I hope that’s a lesson we can all learn from.

1 comment:

  1. President Dahl-

    I love this blog! I came across it from someone in the stake and love that you are doing it. I am going to start following and keep up with it. Thank you for all you do for the stake. I appreciate all you have done for my family and the love you have shown each one of us individually. I have so much respect for you and your family. You are such a great example to me. Thanks again.
    Jaymie Olsen Maines

    ReplyDelete