Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tender Mercies

“TENDER MERCIES” I Nephi 1:20

My first blog entry dealt with the first verse in the first chapter of I Nephi. This one deals with the last verse of chapter one of I Nephi. (I Nephi 1:20) I’d like to focus on the part of that verse which reads:

“… I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith …”

I’m sure most of you have felt the “tender mercies” of the Lord in your life. I’d like to share with you a “tender mercy” that was given to me recently.
I have a neighbor family that I had been thinking and praying about. As the Stake President, there was something I felt I needed to talk with them about. Well, one cold morning last month we had a very heavy snowfall. I got up a few minutes before 6am, put on my snow-blowing clothes and went out to clear the walks. Once you’re out in that weather, it’s not a big deal to go up and down the street to do the sidewalks. So I started around the corner and to my surprise this dear Sister, who I needed to speak with, was out shoveling her walks at that very moment. Now what are the chances that I would just “run into” this Sister, whose family I had been praying about, at 6am in the morning shoveling snow from the sidewalk? I know it was a tender mercy that the Lord let me experience. He knew I needed to talk with her for just a few moments and he knew it needed to happen quickly. I was able to convey to her the impressions I had been feeling. I was even able to help her finish clearing her driveway.
I believe that there are no “coincidences” with the Lord. “Coincidence” is His way of remaining anonymous. I am grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord in my life and I pray you will have them “…because of your faith” as you continue to read the Book of Mormon. On your next Family Home Evening I challenge you to share with your family a tender mercy you have. It will be a spiritual experience for all of you ... I promise.

2 comments:

  1. I love that Coincidences quote. And I will try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. President Dahl,
    Thank you for your post today. "Tender Mercies' is my most favorite phrase in all the scriptures. There are SO many instances in my life that I have been shown the Tender Mercies of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete