Saturday, January 15, 2011

Okay, here it goes. My first blog entry.
I want each of you to know that I love sharing my thoughts about the Book of Mormon. It has changed my life … for the good. For the past four years I’ve read and studied the Book of Mormon more than at any other time in my life. I can honestly tell you it has been the time I have felt closest to my Heavenly Father and I have felt his guidance and revelation in my life on a daily basis. I hope you feel the same way as you make it part of your life.
As I’ll try to do throughout this blog, I want to give you some thoughts and insights I have on specific scriptures. I hope they will be enlightening to you, too. For the my first entry I want to take just the first eight words of the Book of Mormon and give some thoughts about them.
“I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents.”
You’ll notice that Nephi didn’t say “Perfect Parents,” he said “goodly.” I believe you all have good parents. None of them are perfect, but they love you and want the best for you, just as Nephi’s parents wanted for him. They are good because they provide for you and want you to be taught in ways that will allow you to be successful in your life. There may be times when you roll your eyes and wonder why they do certain things, but remember, they love you and often times know a little more about life than you do. They are doing their best to help you along the way. I hope that tonight, before you go to bed you will tell your Mom and Dad, “I love you,” and thank them for being goodly parents like Nephi had. If you do this, I promise you’ll feel the spirit touch your life.
Good luck.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you...your first blog post! Oh, my sweet dad is growing up so quickly. :) What a great idea this is and I am sure the youth (and I) will benefit so much from this. I can't wait to check in and gain from your perspective on things. I don't think I will ever get tired of learning from you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! This daily spiritual uplift could be exactly what we all need! Thank you so much President Dahl! P.S. rancagua, chile that's my brother's mission right now. Sincerely Lauren Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know someone who was converted to the church after he was married to a member. He agreed to read the Book of Mormon to please his wife, but was sure the book would be full of falsehoods. However, as soon as he read the very first sentence, his heart was softened. How could a book be bad that started out in such a sweet way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. President Dahl, thanks for a terrific fireside on Sunday and for setting up this blog. I have encouraged both Mark and Shannon to follow and post their thoughts. I will be reading the Book of Mormon along with you (and my kids) and look forward to checking in here often to get your insights. Thanks for all you to do to love and inspire our young people.

    ReplyDelete