Friday, May 20, 2011

"Which Wolf Are You Feeding?"

II Nephi 4:16 –
“Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord.”

I just love the way Nephi talks about the things of the Lord.  He doesn’t just say “I really like them” or; “they’re good to know” or; “Aren’t they nice?”  He says his “soul delighteth” in them.  I believe that means Nephi thinks about the things of the Lord and they don’t just make him happy or pleased … they reach all the way to his soul.  I believe he was “passionate” about the things of the Lord.  When I think of something touching my soul, I think of things that reach the very core of who I am.  In other words, I don’t think it’s possible to be reached more profoundly than in your soul.  So, how did Nephi get to this point?  I believe he got there by choosing the right over and over and over again.  By doing this I believe he was able to discover the Lord’s ways and learned to love them.  This reminds me of a story told by an old Sioux Indian chief that goes like this:

One winter’s evening whilst gathered round a blazing camp fire, an old Sioux Indian chief told his grandson about the inner struggle that goes on inside people.
“You see,” said the old man, “this inner-struggle is like two wolves fighting each other.  One is evil, full of anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, deceit, false pride, superiority, and ego.”
“The other one,” he continued, poking the fire with a stick so that the fire crackled, sending the flames clawing at the night sky, “is good, full of joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”
For a few minutes his grandson pondered his grandfather’s words and then asked, “So which wolf wins, grandfather?”
“Well”, said the wise old chief, his lined face breaking into a wry smile, “The one you feed!”
I believe Nephi fed the good wolf every day.  This is what led him to the things of the Lord and allowed his entire soul to be touched for good.
So, which wolf are you feeding?  I believe President Uchtdorf gives us a very good “flight plan” of what it takes to feed the good wolf. 
“The first step to walking in righteousness is simply to try. We must try to believe. Try to learn of God: read the scriptures; study the words of His latter-day prophets; choose to listen to the Father, and do the things He asks of us. Try and keep on trying until that which seems difficult becomes possible—and that which seems only possible becomes habit and a real part of you.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “The Love of God,” Ensign, Nov. 2009, 23
The “For the Strength of Youth” booklet provides more ways to feed the good wolf.  For example, under the “Dress and Appearance” section it reads:
 “Through your dress and appearance, you can show the Lord that you know how precious your body is.  You can show that you are a disciple of Christ.  The way you dress is a reflection of what you are on the inside.  When you are well groomed and modestly dressed, you invite the companionship of the Spirit and can exercise a good influence on those around you.   Immodest clothing includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and other revealing attire. Young men should also maintain modesty in their appearance and avoid extremes in clothing, appearance and hairstyles." 

I would like to add to that by saying, never lower your standards for school dances or any other occasion.  Always ask, "Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if the Lord were present?" 

Choose entertainment and music that will uplift you; that will bring good thoughts and righteous choices.  Have the courage to walk out of a movie or video party, turn off the computer or television. Change a radio station, or put down a magazine if it does not meet Heavenly Father's standards.  Do it even if others don't have the courage or wisdom to.
Date only those who have high standards and in whose company you will be able to keep yours.   Protect each other's honor and virtue at all cost.  When you begin to date, no sooner than age 16, do so in groups or double dates.  Avoid going out with the same person frequently.  Now is the time to develop good friendships.  I promise all these things will allow you to “feed the good wolf.”
To you young men specifically, President Hinckley said this about how to stay worthy as an Aaronic Priesthood holder.
“And so, to you young men who hold the Aaronic Priesthood, you have had conferred upon you that power which holds the keys to the ministering of angels. Think of that for a minute.
You cannot afford to do anything that would place a curtain between you and the ministering of angels in your behalf.
You cannot be immoral in any sense. You cannot be dishonest. You cannot cheat or lie. You cannot take the name of God in vain or use filthy language and still have the right to the ministering of angels.
I do not want you to be self-righteous. I want you to be manly, to be vibrant and strong and happy. To those who are athletically inclined, I want you to be good athletes and strive to become champions. But in doing so, you do not have to indulge in unseemly behavior or profane or filthy language.
To you young men who look forward to going on missions, please do not cloud your lives with anything that would cast a doubt upon your worthiness to go forth as servants of the living God.”
Personal Worthiness to Exercise the Priesthood – President Gordon B Hinckley (General Conference - Apr. 2002)
And how will you know when you’re feeding the “good wolf?”  I believe David Beck, the General Young Men’s President sums it up perfectly for you.
"You will feel your heart changing as you become a faithful priesthood man. You will seek to be completely clean and administer the sacrament worthily. You will treat every young woman with kindness and respect. You will honor your parents. You will avoid offending the Spirit in what you think, say, or do. You will come to know the Lord, whom you serve, and you will ever strive to be like Him." David L. Beck, "The Magnificent Aaronic Priesthood," Ensign, May 2010, 56
I’d like to share an experience in my life when I was about your age. It was a pivotal time when I needed to decide which wolf I would feed for the rest of my life.
I was 18 years-old when this time came for me.  I truly wanted to feel the love and power of the Lord’s atonement.  I felt the best way to find this was by reading The Book of Mormon.  I made my way through First and Second Nephi, then Jacob, Enos, Jarom, Omni, and the Words of Mormon.  I started the Book of Mosiah and immediately came upon the remarkable address of King Benjamin.  I was touched by his wisdom and ability to boldly express the importance of the Savior to his people.  As I began the fourth chapter I read how the people reacted to his moving testimony.
 “… And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth and all things …” 
At that moment the spirit touched my soul more deeply than ever before.  I continued reading into the third verse:
“And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of  conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ who should come, according to the words which King Benjamin had spoken unto them.”
It was a miracle.  I felt the exact feelings his people experienced over 2,000 years earlier.  It was if those verses had been included in The Book of Mormon just for me.  I was filled with joy.  I had a peace of conscience because of the atonement of the Savior.
On that day, sitting alone in the basement family room in a stuffed rocking chair, I gained a testimony.   I knew which wolf I wanted to feed.  Tears came to my eyes.  The Holy Ghost had testified to my spirit that Jesus Christ was my Savior and Redeemer.  This singular experience changed me.  I was now prepared to testify as a missionary that the Savior’s gospel was again on the earth.  I was prepared to honor the Savior for his sacrifice by following him and living his gospel.
In the many years since that event, I have had countless impressions and promptings from the Holy Ghost that Jesus Christ is the Savior of all mankind.  Each brings the same feelings of deep contentment and lasting joy.  Each strengthens my testimony from the bottom of its roots to the tips of its branches.  Each gives me the desire to be a better person, to do good, and share this message with others.

I am grateful for the love of the Savior.  I know He lives.  I know He cares about each one of us.  He knows us by name.  He has not left us comfortless.  It’s my prayer that each one of us will “Draw near” to the Savior and partake of the love he so willingly offers us through his atonement.
Now is the time for us to commit to feeding the good wolf.  Remember you are a Child of God.  When you feed the good wolf you’ll have His spirit to give guidance and peace in your life. Read your scriptures, pray, and be true to His word; His commandments and His Church Leaders.  This is the way to happiness.  I promise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment