Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I NEPHI 19:23 - LIKEN THE SCRIPTURES UNTO OURSELVES

“ … I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.”
I Nephi – 19:23

I’m sure there have been many scriptures you’ve read that you’ve felt were written just for you.  I believe Sister Elaine Dalton, General President of the Young Women, said it well:

“Everything in the scriptures is applicable to our lives. The scriptures answer our questions, they provide role models and heroes, and they help us understand how to handle challenges and trials. Many times the scriptures you read will be the answer to your prayers."
("Believe!" Ensign, May 2004, 111)

I’m sure that many of you can select your favorite scripture stories and apply them to your life today.  I’d like to share one with you that has always helped me “press on.”  It’s the Story of Joseph in Egypt found in the Old Testament in Genesis, chapters 37-46.  I love this story.  Here’s Joseph, a young man who was sold by his brothers as a slave because of their jealousy of him  (I’m sure there are many of you who would like to give their siblings away, but you have to admit this was pretty mean of his brothers).  So, Joseph is forced to start a new life in Egypt as a slave;  the lowest of situations.  But here’s where we learn about the character of Joseph.  We can tell from the story that he didn’t sit around feeling sorry for himself.  I imagine he decided to make the best of the situation – he would make something of himself no matter what.   Well, in time Joseph worked his way to the prestigious title of “Ruler” in the house of Potipher, one of Egypt’s most influential men.   Can you imagine the work and energy it would take to go from a lowly slave to “ruler” in an influential household?  It sounds like the ultimate “rags to riches” story. 

Joseph's example of persistence was very helpful to me when I was in High School.  When I was that age I loved basketball.  (I still do, although now I like playing tennis better.)  In all my spare time you could find me playing basketball.  In Junior High I started for our school's team.  As a sophomore I worked back from a knee operation and into the starting line-up at the end of the season.  My great dream and expectation was to make the Varsity team the next year.  I worked hard and played a lot of basketball.  The tryouts came and went into them with confidence.  Just as I expected, I made the first several cuts and was feeling good about my chances of making the team.  On the day of the last cut I hurried to the gym to look for my name on the list of the final team.  I scanned down the list and didn't see my name.  I thought "There must be a mistake" so I checked again ... no mistake … I had been cut.  I was devastated.  It was as if my whole world had fallen in on me.  Now what was I going to do? 

Well, as a sophomore I had started to High Jump a little on the track team and discovered I was pretty good (not real good, just pretty good).  I noticed that the school record was not all that high at 6’ 1”.  It was the very day I was cut from the school basketball team when I determined that before I graduated I would break our school record in the high jump.  It took a lot of work and persistence.  During the winter months instead of practicing basketball after school I went down into the school basement and worked alone trying to get better at the high jump.

My senior year came and I was determined to make my goal a reality.  Several meets went by when I would clear 6 feet.  Many others came where I would actually clear 6’1”, but that only tied the record.  My goal was to beat the record.  The last meet of my high school career was our regional meet held at Hillcrest High School.  I knew this meet would be my last shot at reaching my goal.  While at this meet I did something I probably should have been doing all along … I focused.  Between jumps I stretched my leg muscles and watched the other jumpers, but mostly I visualized clearing the next height.  Well, the bar kept going up and the number of jumpers kept going down.  The bar was placed at 6”1’ and I realized I would need to tie my personal best to continue.  On my first jump at that height I cleared it easily.  There were several jumpers who failed at that height.  That left only six jumpers.  The bar was raised to 6’2” … a height that would break the school record and a height I had never cleared, even in practice.  On my first attempt I did something that probably wasn’t too bright … I walked up to the landing pit and under the bar.  It was higher than my head.  But based on my clearing the previous height I looked up at the bar and felt good about my chances. 

On my first attempt at 6’2” I felt really good about the approach and the jump.  I went up, turned backwards in the air, arched my back and then barely caught the bar with my hips.  The bar wiggled enough to fall into the landing pit.  I knew I had only two more chances.  I went back to where I was warming up and started to focus even more on my goal.  My name was again called and I was ready for my second attempt.  I approached the bar with great energy and again thrust myself up and backwards across the bar.  This time my shoulder’s cleared the bar, followed by my hips and finally I kicked my legs upward … all without touching the bar at all.  As I lay in the landing pit I stare up at the bar.  It was not moving … I had done it.  I had reached my goal.  Now, I wasn’t the best in the region that day … in fact I placed 6th.  The winner jumped 6’8”.  But I seldom think of that.  What I think about is that I set a personal goal and worked long and hard to reach it.  I had succeeded because I hadn’t let the failure of being cut from the basketball team define my high school experience.  

So … back to the story of Joseph.  Starting out as a mere slave, he didn’t let being sold by his brothers define what his life would be.  And his life wasn’t easy.  In time, Joseph was elevated to become the master of the house of Potipher, a powerful man in Egyptian society.  This was wonderful until a bit later when he courageously refused the advances of Potipher’s wife.  After refusing to compromise his morals she falsely accused him of taking advantage of her.  Potipher sided with his wife and had Joseph thrown into prison.  But rather than sulking because “the world was against him” Joseph again showed persistence.  Soon he worked to gain the trust of the prison keeper and in time was given responsibility over all the prisoners.   We all know the “rest of the story.”  Joseph was called from the prison to interpret Pharaoh’s dream about the seven years of plenty followed by the seven years of famine.  He worked hard and gained the Pharoah’s trust and confidence.  During this time Joseph rose to the Number Two man in all of Egypt.  In today’s society he would have been the Prime Minster of his country.  This persistence and dedication brought Joseph from the life of a slave to become the Prime Minster of all Egypt.

As I have gone through difficult times in my life and felt like the world was against me, I’ve recalled Joseph’s incredible story pondered his character and persistence.  As I have “likened this scripture unto myself” it’s given me greater strength to press forward and not give up. 

I hope after reading this you’ll recall and ponder one of your favorite scripture stories or verses and ask the Lord how you can “liken it unto yourself.”  I promise as you do so the answers will give you greater strength, courage, and confidence to face your challenges, no matter what they may be.  My prayers are with you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment